Sunday, December 1, 2019

New Studio, New Work


I've been sidelined for the last year as I recovered from Lyme Disease.  I started back in my studio last September with a commission to make very small tea bowls for someone who is leading large groups of people on forest bathing walks that conclude with a tea ceremony.  This commission was fortuitous, as it motivated me to work despite the pain and muscle weakness.  Making very small tea bowls was also easier on my muscles and helped me get back my muscle memory for centering and pulling up.  These bowls were 100 mL to 150 mL capacity, and were so small it was almost more difficult to throw them than regular size. However, the client just wanted her participants to have a small amount of tea each, especially with everything being back-packed into the forest.  I was asked to make them in different styles and colours of my choosing, but with a nature theme with a sprig or stamp.  This was a great way to get physiotherapy and boost my spirits.





No comments:

Post a Comment